Our production team noticed a need for converting employees to signal and receive help during production. After doing some research into different types of equipment that would work best for our needs, they decided on Lean Manufacturing Andon. In manufacturing, Andon systems provide visual feedback to the plant floor. Andon systems indicate line status, show when assistance is needed (e.g. supervisor or maintenance calls), and empower operators to stop the production process for quality issues.
This new communication tool would:
• Bring immediate attention to problems as they occur in the production
• Provide a simple and consistent mechanism for communicating
information on the plant floor.
• Encourage immediate reaction to quality, down time, and safety
• Improve accountability of operators by increasing their responsibility for
“good” production and empowering them to take action when problems
• Improve the ability of supervisors to quickly identify and resolve
After deciding on the Andon system, the next step was to figure out how to create and implement this system at Hub. The exterior boxes were built out of wood and painted gray. Maintenance handled all of the mechanical wiring within the boxes and added the switches to each converting machine. There are two switches per machine, that way employees can signal if they need assistance from the Finishing side or the Shipping side during production.
Great job team for implementing a cost effective and time saving solution for our production team!